Who we are
Pilipinas Shell traces its roots to Asiatic Petroleum Company (Philippine Islands) Ltd. in the Philippines back since 1914, and has grown to become one of the leading oil refining and marketing businesses in the Philippines.
- A world-class investment – We aim to maximize cash generation while maintaining competitive returns built upon a strong financial framework and capital discipline.
- Shared value with society - We aim to be a good neighbor who manages the social impact of our activities and share wider benefits to the society. We aim to deliver energy responsibly and safely, while looking after our employees, business partners, customers, local communities, and the environment.
- Trusted partner in nation-building – We aim to be a reliable partner in nation-building by fulfilling the country’s requirement for sustainable energy products and services.
To power progress together with the Filipino by providing more and cleaner energy solutions.
Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Care, Humility, Commitment
CORPORATE HISTORY AND MILESTONES
Pilipinas Shell traces its roots to Asiatic Petroleum Company (Philippine Islands), Ltd. which opened for business in the Philippines and began to import and sell motor gasoline and kerosene in 1914. Asiatic Petroleum Company (Philippine Islands) Ltd. was renamed The Shell Company of the Philippine Islands, Ltd. in the 1940s.
In 1959, Pilipinas Shell was incorporated under the name The Shell Refining Company (Philippines), Inc. in compliance with the then required percentage of Filipino ownership (25%) in large industrial ventures. In 1970, Pilipinas Shell was renamed Shell Philippines, Inc. and was later renamed Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation in 1973.
In 1976, Meralco Securities Corporation acquired 25% stake in the Company resulting in the Company being 50% owned.
In February 1987, the Filipino ownership in the Company decreased to 33.33% after a share buyback by the Company of Meralco Securities Corporation’s stake in the Company. In August 2015, the Filipino ownership in the Company decreased to 31.82% following the issuance of additional shares pursuant to a stock rights offering.
Certain key dates and milestones for Pilipinas Shell’s business are set forth below.
- The Company began the construction of a crude oil refinery in Tabangao, Batangas.
- The Tabangao Refinery commenced commercial operations with a nameplate capacity of 30,000 bpd.
- The Company began to partner with the Pilipinas Shell Foundation, Inc. or the PSFI on programs relating to (i) healthcare and services, sanitation, and safety, (ii) technical, vocational and agricultural skills development, training and employment, (iii) livelihood and entrepreneurship development, (iv) leadership enhancement and attitude development, and (v) environmental stewardship.
- The Company commenced the construction of a bigger and more modern Tabangao Refinery. The primary purpose of the construction was to replace two crude distillers built in 1960.
- The nameplate capacity of the Tabangao Refinery increased to 110,000 bpd.
- The Shell Philippine Petroleum Corporation (“SPPC”), the Philippines only lube oil refinery, was merged with and absorbed by the Company. SPPC was formerly the Philippine Petroleum Corporation, the majority stake of which was acquired by the Shell Group in 1986.
- The Company opened a bitumen storage and distribution facility in Villanueva, Misamis Oriental.
- The Company inaugurated its Bitumen Solutions Center at the Tabangao Refinery.
- The Tabangao Refinery celebrated its 50th year.
- The Company launched three new premium performance fuels, namely, Shell V-Power Nitro + Gasoline, Shell V-Power Nitro + Racing and Shell V-Power Nitro + Diesel.
- The Company began the construction of the North Mindanao Import Facility (“NMIF”).
- The Company completed the upgrade of the Tabangao Refinery.
- The NMIF commenced commercial operations by sending out its first shipment.
- Inauguration of the New North Mindanao Import Facility (NMIF) in Cagayan de Oro
- Launch of new V-Power efficiency fuels with DYNAFLEX technology performance and efficiency fuels
- Inauguration of the 1000th retail site
- Creation of Board Committees
- Adoption of the Revised Manual on Corporate Governance
- Shell Aviation celebrated 55 years of operations in the country
- First Bitumen production facility in the country started operating
- Asia’s Community Care Company of the Year (ACES)
- Most Outstanding Achievement in Advocacy Marketing (Agora Awards)
- Office move from Shellhouse in Makati to The Finance Center in Bonifacio Global City
- First SEC-Accredited In-House Corporate Governance Training
- Inauguration of the Subic Import Facility
- Launch of Shell Go+ loyalty card in the country
- Launch of Shell Bitumen Fresh Air
- Implemented the 1st Strategy Day
- Inauguration of the Shell Import Facility Tabangao
- Launch of the Mobility’s 1st Site of the Future
PILIPINAS SHELL’S SUBSIDIARIES, ASSOCIATES AND JOINT VENTURES
As at 31 July 2021, Pilipinas Shell does not have any Subsidiaries.
As at 31 July 2021, Pilipinas Shell has ownership in the following Associates:
- Bonifacio Gas Corporation
Bonifacio Gas Corporation is in the business of construction, establishment, ownership, maintenance and operation of a centralised gas distribution system.
- Kamayan Realty Corporation
Kamayan Realty Corporation is in the business of acquisition, development and management of real estate properties.
More in About us
We are an integrated energy company that aims to meet society’s growing demand for energy in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible.
Our core values are honesty, integrity and respect for people. These are reflected in the Shell General Business Principles, which set out our responsibilities to shareholders, customers, employees, business partners and society. Together with our Code of Conduct, they govern the way we work around the world.